TikTok Statistics And Facts (2020 Report)
TikTok is one of the latest trends of the 21st century, and it has taken the global social media platforms by storm. For teenagers and tech-savvy enthusiasts, TikTok is a whole new subculture. It is an innovative and unique way of online sharing. With TikTok, online users get to create music, videos and do many fun activities, including TikTok challenges.
Overview of TikTok Statistics, Usage And Facts (2020 Report)
- 1 TikTok Statistics And Facts (2020 Report)
- 2 TikTok Global user statistics:
- 3 Download statistics of TikTok:
- 4 TikTok’s download statistics on the apple app store:
- 5 TikTok statistics age-wise:
- 6 TikTok country statistics:
- 7 Statistics of the time spent by TikTok users on the app:
- 8 Country-wise usage of TikTok statistics:
- 9 Statistics of TikTok users who use the app multiple times in a day:
- 10 Statistics of adults who use the TikTok app in the US and also globally:
- 11 Statistics of the total number of viewed TikTok videos:
- 12 Conclusion
Online users also get to share their fun creations with others via TikTok. Different users have different perspectives on this platform, while some view it as fun, exciting, and engaging, others view it as addictive. TikTok is a powerful platform that enables users to do things creatively. It is available to users on Android and iOS apps. It can be easily accessed globally through Google Play and app stores.
Here are some of the top statistics of TikTok in 2020, and it can be useful for marketers to stay updated on them.
In September 2016, TikTok started its operation and had become one of the most downloaded apps in 2020. It has gained popularity amongst people of all age groups.
- TikTok has about 800 million users worldwide, as per a recent 2020 survey. (businessofapps)
- TikTok occupies the 9th position when compared to all the social media platforms globally. It is ranked as one of the trendiest of social media apart from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Snapchat. (businessofapps)
- Out of the global numbers, China alone accounts for about 150 million daily active users of TikTok. They use Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok. It is one of the several apps that have been widely using in Asia, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, and Vietnam, amongst several others. (businessofapps)
- TikTok was able to achieve the number of users within 3 years compared to Instagram could achieve since its launch. Instagram took 6 years, and Facebook took 4 years to have the same amount of monthly users that TikTok could make from the date of its launch. (businessofapps)
It is one of the most downloaded apps in the world. The number of downloads has only grown exponentially over the years. 2019 has seen TikTok cross the first billion downloads in February.
- The total number of users to download TikTok from the Google Play Store and the app store is more than 1.5 billion. (wallaroomedia)
- TikTok took just an additional 8 months to achieve half a billion downloads of its app and online usage. These statistics of TikTok are impressive when compared to the other competitive apps on the market. (wallaroomedia)
- Between the beginning and end of 2019, the latest statistics show that this app downloaded for 614 million times. (wallaroomedia)
- As each year progressed, TikTok could register a 6% growth per year. (wallaroomedia)
- TikTok will occupy the 3rd position on the users’ list shortly if the growth rate remains the same. (wallaroomedia)
- The latest projection indicates that TikTok would surge ahead in the ranking than Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram. (wallaroomedia)
- When compared to the other popular social media platforms, TikTok is the only social media platform not owned by another and still achieved its impressive progress. (wallaroomedia)
- TikTok is one of the most 10 downloaded apps in the world. (wallaroomedia)
- In the app download, TikTok had surpassed twitter and YouTube long before. (wallaroomedia)
If the above two statistics of TikTok did not impress you, then this one is sure to amaze you.
- By the end of 2019, TikTok topped the list of the most downloaded apps on the Apple app store. (Statista)
- TikTok surpassed most of its competitors like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, YouTube, and Messenger, with 33 million downloads in a single quarter. (Statista)
- TikTok could register impressive downloads consecutively for 5 quarters since its entry in the market. (Statista)
- TikTok continues to maintain its user base statistics and also attract new customers. (Statista)
- The 2020 survey has revealed that TikTok has the largest iPhone users compared to Android users. (Statista)
- On Google Play, TikTok ranks as the 3rd most downloaded app along with the social media giants of Facebook and WhatsApp. (Statista)
- The 1st quarter of 2019 was the best performing time for the TikTok app, as it showed an impressive 188 million users. (Statista)
- TikTok had 70% more downloads in 2019 than of 2018. (Statista)
- Globally, TikTok’s download soared to 1.5 billion as of 2019, a milestone accomplishment. (businessinsider)
- The short-form video app content is 6% stronger than the 2018 version. (businessinsider)
TikTok is one of those social media applications that have kept teenagers engaged. More and more youngsters are finding this app to be fun and an ice breaker. Though it may seem like a head-scratcher for the elders, it is not new to the younger generations. The following are the statistics of TikTok usage from the teenage group.
- 41% of the total TikTok users are teenagers between the ages groups of 16 to 24 years. (oberlo)
- 41% of teenage TikTok like the app because of its friendly interface matching the youth requirements. (oberlo)
- The target audience age of TikTok is under 18 years. (oberlo)
- In China, 60% of TikTok users are within the 25-44 age group. (hootsuite)
- In the USA, people within the age group 18-24 are the biggest users, which is about 42%. Users within the age group 13-17, which is about 27%, are next to the largest group. (hootsuite)
- In the US, 40% of TikTok users are male, and 60% are female. (hootsuite)
The majority of TikTok downloads emerged from Asia in the year 2019.
- From India alone, there were 277.6 million TikTok downloads in the year 2019. (Statista)
- Indian viewers download of 2019 makes up about 45% of the total global downloads worldwide. It makes up about 60% of the total downloads. (Statista)
- It means that every 6 out of 10 downloads done by Indians were these TikTok apps. (Statista)
- China follows India closely with 45.5 million downloads of the TikTok apps, which is about 7.4 % of the world’s downloads. (Statista)
- The United States of America saw 37.6 million downloads of the TikTok apps, which is about 6% of the world’s downloads. (Statista)
- The download figures of TikTok apps are also representations of the total number of downloads that took place globally and TikTok’s all-time downloads. (Statista)
- Of the total TikTok app downloads since its launch, about 466.8 million is from India alone, which makes up about 31% of the total downloads of TikTok apps to date. (Statista)
- The total TikTok app downloads from its launch to date in China is about 173.2 million. Both India and China combined contribute to about 40% of the total downloads of TikTok apps to date. (Statista)
- The total number of TikTok downloads in the United States of America from its launch to date is about 123.8 million, which is about 8.2 % of the total global TikTok downloads. (Statista)
- TikTok is gaining popularity across South Asia and other European countries as well. It is continuously updating and adapting its platform to meet the growing trends, preferences, and requirements of the target audiences. It is also making changes to accommodate the local, national, and international, diverse population. (Statista)
- TikTok currently supports 15 different Indian languages and several hundreds of global languages across the world. (Statista)
- A user spends an average of 52 minutes a day on TikTok. (appinventiv)
- TikTok app is using daily for entertainment purposes or for creating and sharing of videos and other fun activities. (appinventiv)
- For marketers around the world, this is a great deal because the more time users spend on TikTok, the more they get exposed to the opportunity of viewing advertisements. (appinventiv)
TikTok has been using 155 countries in the world, and it supports 75 languages. Let us check the various country-wise statistics of TikTok. It has the largest monthly user base in India. Let us check 10 top countries of TikTok users. (routenote)
- India – 119.3 million
- USA – 39.6 million
- Turkey – 28.4 million
- Russia – 24.3 million
- Mexico – 19.7 million
- Brazil – 18.4 million
- Pakistan – 11.8 million
- Saudi Arabia – 9.7 million
- France – 9.1 million
- Germany – 8.8 million
- Of all the TikTok users across the world, about 90% of them access it daily. All of the 90% are highly active in it. (omnicoreagency)
- A 2020 study shows that about 68% of the global TikTok users view another user’s videos and shares. (omnicoreagency)
- The same survey shows that about 55% of the global TikTok users use the app to upload their videos and music. (omnicoreagency)
When comparing the above two, we can see that there was a vast difference between sharing and viewing habits. There is a high statistical count amongst those sharing videos, and this indicates that TikTok is easy to operate and access.
Another fascinating statistic of TikTok is the total number of adults in the United States who use this app. It is a well-known fact that Americans love the app. The growth in the number of US TikTok users has been consistent over the years. As per the industrial report, the Tonight Show’ starring Jimmy Fallon led to an increase in the number of TikTok users in the US. This show encouraged audiences to take an active part in a series of challenges hosted by the app.
- There are about 500 million active TikTok users globally who access the app monthly. (influencemarketinghub)
- As per estimates, out of the total 500 million active TikTok users, 26.5% are from the United States. (influencemarketinghub)
- A 2019 study showed that there was a boost in the total number of TikTok users in the United States by about 5.5 times in just 18 months. (influencemarketinghub)
TikTok tops the list of the total number of videos viewed every day when compared to other social media platforms.
- Last year’s estimation found that more than 1 million videos were seen on the TikTok app globally. (appinventiv)
- TikTok app has crossed the target milestone of 1 million views in a day just within a year of its launch. It continues to show steady growth in the total number of video viewers on the TikTok app. (appinventiv)
11.Comparison of TikTok with other social media platforms:
The following information can enlighten valuable information on the most used social platform based on monthly unique visitors. The ranking is as per the user numbers, and TikTok stands at the 7th position on a global scale. (businessofapps)
- Facebook – 2,449 million
- YouTube – 2,000 million
- WhatsApp – 1,600 million
- FB Messenger – 1,300 million
- Weixin/WeChat – 1,151 million
- Instagram – 1,000 million
- Douyin/TikTok – 800 million
- QQ – 731million
- Qzone – 517 million
- Sin A Weibo – 497 million
- Reddit – 430 million
- Snapchat – 382 million
- Twitter – 340 million
- Pinterest – 322 million
- Kuaishou – 316 million
The social media app, TikTok that allows people to post short video contents or short lip-synced contents, gives enough scope for the users to present their contents in the strongest possible way. The growth of TikTok was a surprising turn of events at a time when Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram have been ruling the field. Nobody would have thought there is still space for a new player, but it is surprising to watch the incredible growth of TikTok. The loyalty of social media users will continue to change, and the emergence of TikTok has established it.
The Android and iOS based app TikTok initially introduced in the Chinese market in September 2016 as Douyin and in 2017 spread its wings out of China by ByteDance. Both use the same algorithm but use independent networks to meet Chinese digital policy regulations. The short video content platform targeting the millennium users gives immense opportunity to share their creativity and thus establish their identity. The easy to use app makes everybody a content provider, and it stands like an entertainment platform.