Yelp Statistics, Demographics, Users And Facts For 2021
Yelp is a multi-million-dollar company that enables users to review businesses around the world, established by Russel Simmons and Jeremy Stoppelman in October 2004 headquartered at San Francisco, California. The company focuses much on the idea of customer reviews, which works like a pivotal role in promoting the business, ensuring growth and success. So, the principle of the company is to pay attention to customer reviews.
Overview of Yelp Statistics, Demographics, Users And Facts For 2021
- 1 Yelp Statistics, Demographics, Users And Facts For 2021
- 2 Key information about Yelp:
- 3 Yelp visitor statistics:
- 4 Cumulative number of reviews from 2009-2019
- 5 Revenue statistics of business as per Yelp ratings:
- 6 Local business overview statistics:
- 7 Yelp statistics based on the US market.
- 8 Statistics on average Yelp review audiences:
- 9 US population and Yelp usage:
- 10 Mobile and smartphone statistics of Yelp users:
- 11 Unique mobile and web visitors during 2017-209
- 12 Purchase statistics after visiting Yelp reviews:
- 13 Yelp visitor statistics within 24 hours of checking reviews:
- 14 Yelp monthly statistics:
- 15 Reviewed business by category:
- 16 Fact sheet of Yelp rating:
- 17 Revenue after advertisements:
- 18 Yelp metrics as of December 2019:
- 19 Conclusion:
- 20 Reference links:
Yelp takes pride in its achievements in the business world through its website Yelp.com; mobile applications; and the Yelp reservations. As a business recommendation, platform users will have the opportunity to cast their opinion about an outlet, which will be authentic, and people find the Yelp search is real and productive. It works like a local review site, and customers can check the website for genuine reviews. The following are the statistical information about Yelp; it will be helpful for researchers and bloggers who are looking for accurate data
Key information about Yelp:
- Year of establishment: October 2004
- Official website: Yelp.com
- Registered HQ: San Francisco, California
- Founder: Jeremy Stoppelman and Russel Simmons
- More than 145 million people visit Yelp each month and 70% of those come from mobile
- As of Q3 2020 theres over 220 million reviews left on Yelp with a 10% year over year growth.
Yelp visitor statistics:
Visitors access the Yelp platform by mobiles and desktops. Over the years, there has been a steep increase in the use of desktop and mobile Yelp websites. However, more and more people are using Yelp mobile apps to access the site due to its ease of use and convenience. The following are the Yelp visitor statistics of a 2019 study:
- Of the total Yelp website visitors, it was estimated that about 90% are US users in the past year. (Statista)
- Around the globe, about 76.75 million users access Yelp websites, platforms, and mobile applications each month. (Statista)
- In a month about 54.01 million users around the World access Yelp through their desktops. (Statista)
- By the end of 2019 about 205 million reviews posted on Yelp.(Statista)
- About 69 million users access Yelp by desktop per month. (Statista)
- In a recent 2020 study showed that about 45% of online consumers chose Yelp for their online reviews before purchase. (Statista)
Cumulative number of reviews from 2009-2019
The cumulative review posting from 2009 to 2019 shows a consistent review posting over the years. The timeline graph shows a 17% increase in the review posting in 2019 while comparing it to 2018, which was 177 million.
- 2009 – 8.83 million
- 2010 – 15.12 million
- 2011 – 24.82 million
- 2012 – 36 million
- 2013 – 52.76 million
- 2014 – 71.25 million
- 2015 – 95.21 million
- 2016 – 121.02 million
- 2017 – 148.3 million
- 2018 – 177 million
- 2019 – 205 million
Revenue statistics of business as per Yelp ratings:
Each year Yelp collects the review data and does a study of the local business health. Economic business data analysts study the reviews and ratings posted on the Yelp platform with the help of its Yelp Economic average indicator. The Yelp studies have shown several healthy and wealthy business economies like those in Portland, San Francisco, New York, New Zealand, Milwaukee, and several others.
- In 2019, Yelp users saw a steep increase of US$1.1 billion in net revenue. (Nasdaq)
- A 2019 study indicated that there was an increase in the total net revenue of Yelp users by about US$1,014.19 million. (Nasdaq)
- In the year 2019, there was an increase in revenue through sales made by advertisements on Yelp websites and mobile applications. The recorded revenue is about 91% and 97%, respectively. (Nasdaq)
- By the end of 2019, there was an 18% revenue boost. (Nasdaq)
- Businesses around the world have witnessed tremendous growth, and their revenues were up by 9%, and Yelp’s business reviews were instrumental in achieving the results. With every new star rating that a business earns, it experiences a boost in revenue. (Nasdaq)
Local business overview statistics:
- A 2020 study showed that 85% of consumers were more inclined to purchase after visiting the Yelp platform. Upon browsing through the reviews posted on the platforms, consumers gain more confidence and trust in a particular business. (boostmedical)
- As per another study conducted in September 2019, 49% of the total reviews on Yelp is about restaurants. The other categories which followed were the shopping and home services. (boostmedical)
- Today, Yelp receives a maximum of 184 million reviews from businesses and consumers worldwide. It has been of use for consumers, businesses, and competitors to track and be aware of their success rates in the market. (boostmedical)
The reviews on Yelp are not just limited to restaurants, local businesses, and shopping ventures, but entrepreneurs, small companies, and hotel owners. As per the latest data, about 78% of the reviews on Yelp are not related to any particular brand. Businesses realize the importance of bagging that premium position to promote the business and attract more consumers.
Yelp statistics based on the US market.
- According to Alexa, Yelp is a leading and most visited website in the US.
- On average, 4 out of 5 Yelp visitors make a purchase decision immediately.
- According to a September 2019 study, consumers use Yelp platforms to get the relevant information about the product/service and competitors that they require about a local business.
Statistics on average Yelp review audiences:
Almost all age groups depend on Yelp to have a genuine evaluation of products or services that they are looking for, and it is evident in the following data. By going through the information, we can say that Yelp is not just to cater to the requirement of the younger generation, or it is for the young demographic. While going through the fact sheets, we can find that the average US user falls in the age bracket of 18-34.
- 41.9% of the US users are within the 18-34 age demographic. (brandongaille)
- 37% of are within 35-54 age. (brandongaille)
- 9% of the users are above 55 years old. (brandongaille)
- 2% of users have a college education. (brandongaille)
- 4% of users are above degree qualification. (brandongaille)
- 38% of Yelp users have more than $100,000 income per year. (brandongaille)
- 34% of Yelp users have $50,000 or less income per year. (brandongaille)
- 23% is the leading business category on Yelp. (brandongaille)
- 19% is the restaurant category on Yelp. (brandongaille)
- 71% of reviews recommend a business on Yelp. (brandongaille)
- 7% of reviews removed from the Yelp platform due to suspected objectives. (brandongaille)
- 43% of reviews bear 5-star ranking. (brandongaille)
- 14% of reviews carry 1-star ranking. (brandongaille)
- Per minute, 26,000 reviews get published on Yelp’s core demographics. (brandongaille)
US population and Yelp usage:
It would be interesting to check the demography of the US population and US Yelp users. The average users fall within the bracket of 18-34. When the US population shows a total of 28% of youngsters within the age of 18-34, their number of Yelp user percentage stands at 34. Similarly, the percentage of people within the age group 35-54 shows 34%, and the number of Yelp users are 35%. And 38% of the US population appears as above 55, the user percentage of Yelp stands at 31%. So, the statistics are evident that Yelp has been using by all ages of people in the US. (risingstarreviews)
Mobile and smartphone statistics of Yelp users:
When there are several competitors in the market, which one would you choose? It is where you search for the best industry listings near you. All of this can obtain from reviews listed on Yelp. It also makes the search easier and stress-free. All the information that you would ever need about a business is at your fingertips on Yelp platforms. Businesses get to feature all that they offer on Yelp and get it across to the right audience.
- A 2019 study found that there are about 92 million people use the Yelp mobile app to access reviews on their mobiles and smartphones.
- About 80% of the searches on Yelp were made from mobile gadgets, while the clicks on advertisements accounted for about 76%.
- The end of 2019 saw a 72% increase in reviews done through mobiles and smartphones.
Unique mobile and web visitors during 2017-209
It is easy and convenient to access reviews on Yelp through mobile phones and hand gadgets while you are on the move. The majority of the visits to the Yelp’s platform carryout by the mobile version. The Yelp mobile app is the current trend and soon replacing access through desktops. Most of us have mobile devices, and the year 2019 saw a 50% boost in internet traffic through them. (Statista)
Purchase statistics after visiting Yelp reviews:
Yelp reviews play an important role in the promotion and brand popularity of a business. Today, businesses rely heavily on social media for the marketing campaign, and the reviews posted by the users also play a significant role in maintaining the brand/product image. The users review posting amounts to about 44% of the businesses, while 41% use reviews to generate more leads, conversions, audiences, and revenue. If you need your business to take the lead, then you need to embrace both the positive and negative sides of Yelp reviews. The total number of cumulative Yelp reviews as of 2020 is about 205 million.
- As per a 2019 study, about 50% of the total Yelp reviews are about the top position businesses. (expandedramblings)
- The same survey also found that about 16% of the Yelp reviews had a single star rating. 8% of the reviews where 4 star and 5-star ratings. (expandedramblings)
- 70% of these Yelp reviews fell under the recommended category, while 22% were under the not-recommended category. (expandedramblings)
- Yelp also has its removal of reviews policy, under which 7% of the reviews were removed from the website by 2020. (expandedramblings)
Yelp visitor statistics within 24 hours of checking reviews:
- According to business analysts, Yelp platforms attract millions of visitors who spend an average of 3.39 mins each day searching for reviews. (review42)
- Registered users with the Yelp platform rely on the reviews posted than the guest visitors. (review42)
Yelp monthly statistics:
- Per month, Yelp gets 100 million visitors worldwide to its web pages, website, reviews, mobile apps, and platforms. People use desktop, mobile, and app versions for visiting and engaging with Yelp. (boostmedical)
Reviewed business by category:
By the end of 2019, businesses around the world saw a stark increase as a result of Yelp. The following are the statistics of reviewed businesses as per category:
- Restaurants experienced an 18% boost in profits and revenue worldwide. (Yelp-press)
- Approximately 17% increase in home, local services, and shopping center sales registered globally. (Yelp-press)
- 11% increase in revenue in the beauty and fitness sector. (Yelp-press)
- 8% increase in revenue in the Global Health departments. (Yelp-press)
- 5% rise in revenue in the travel and hotel industry around the world, including vacation and tourist destinations. (Yelp-press)
- 4% increase in arts and entertainment revenues at theatres, local events galleries, Opera show, musical concerts and more. (Yelp-press)
- The nightlife around the world saw a 2% boost in revenue. (Yelp-press)
Fact sheet of Yelp rating:
Getting an average Yelp star is the best way to increase your business, which can let you have the edge over your competitors. So, what is the average star rating on Yelp? The average grade in Yelp stands anyway between 4.5-5.0 stars. Anything below to 4.5 stars cannot draw the attention of the audience. When we use the rounding mechanism, 3.78 stars also turns to 4; hence a star rate 4 and below will not give a competitive edge. A star rate of 4.00 denotes the business is just below the average mark. The following graph will illustrate the fact sheet of Yelp rating distribution. (risignstarreviews)
Revenue after advertisements:
Business owners who invested in ads on Yelp platforms gain maximum profit when compared to other advertising forums. Entities can make high returns as a result of proper exposure and promotion of the business. According to a study conducted by the Boston Consulting Group, it has found that the average annual revenue of companies with the advertisement on Yelp could fetch more than $23,000.
Specific categories of businesses could make more profits. The following are the business categories that had generated more revenue with advertisements on Yelp:
- Home services and contractors could make an income of $54,000. (Reviewtrackers)
- Automotive and automobile sectors could make $39,000 in revenue. (Reviewtrackers)
- Local services have made a revenue of $36,000. (Reviewtrackers)
- Hotel, travel, and hospitality sector could make a revenue of $36,000. (Reviewtrackers)
- $24,000 in revenue by businesses in shopping, retail, and local stores. (Reviewtrackers)
- Pharmaceutical companies, medical professionals, and health service providers have made a revenue of $20,000. (Reviewtrackers)
When it comes to dining, a UC Berkeley economist study indicated that restaurants with even a half star rating boosted seat booking up to its peak.
So, if you are into one of those businesses that have been receiving reviews from Yelp’s online community, you would have already seen the positive outcomes. The closure of a company can easily be predicted based on the ratings and reviews platforms. It enables consumers to determine the performance of a particular business and whether it is worth following and purchasing from them. (Reviewtrackers)
Yelp metrics as of December 2019:
- As of 31st December 2019, Yelp hires 5,950 employees all over the world. (Yelp-press)
- By the end of 2019, diners and restaurants around the world saw an impressive rise of 30 million bookings via Yelp. (Yelp-press)
- It was the year 2019, that Yelp launched its all-new personalized app to enable users to have convenient and quick access to local businesses and to connect with them. Because of the new app, we can see a boost of 36 million mobile app users on average. (Yelp-press)
- With each passing year, there is about a 16% boost in cumulative reviews across platforms. (Yelp-press)
Yelp is a platform that connects customers with local businesses. It is a one-stop place that enables you to discover, stay-in-touch, transact, and post reviews about a business. The size of the business venture doesn’t matter, Yelp has it all! With Yelp, the local business is not untraceable and far away. It’s easier than ever to ask for a quote; book a reservation at your favorite spot; dine at a popular restaurant, and choose from the best of services and offers!