When you are ready with your business concept and its legalities are over, then the next step is setting up a website to showcase your presence online. After finalizing your domain purchase, and the contents are ready, you need to look for a web hosting service provider, who can host your domain.
It is imperative to have the right host, which helps your website get noticed among millions of others. The reputation and reachability of the website play a key role; choosing a hosting provider keeping it in mind may help you a lot.
Read further to know some facts and statistical information regarding web hosting services.
Overview of Web Hosting Statistics, Market share And Facts For 2020
- 1 Web Hosting Statistics, Market share And Facts For 2020
- 2 Web hosting market share and revenue:
- 3 Top players in the Web Hosting service:
- 4 Geographical presence:
- 5 Features that make the domain stand apart from the rest:
- 6 The overwhelming growth of web hosting:
- 7 Predictions and projections regarding web hosting:
- 8 History/Timeline of web hosting services:
- 9 Conclusion
Web hosting services could change the face of the economy. The developments in the last two decades clearly indicate positive changes. Technology and the Internet have reached an altitude, which could be able to determine the future of the world.
When it comes to the economy, the contribution of web hosting services and the providers are something to be undenied. Let’s have a peek into the market share of web hosting providers and the impact it has made on the global economy.
- The top five countries in GEO’s Web Hosting market share are US (51.66%), Germany (11.26%), UK (4.12%), Japan (3.16%), and France (3.16%). (hostadvice)
- The leading Web Hosting company GoDaddy controls a 6.6% share of the global market. (financesonline)
- GoDaddy contributes to 15.2% of the total market share of websites. (hostsorter)
- The average revenue of GoDaddy from the domains is $352.3 million, which shows a growth of 12.1% by each year. (Godaddy)
- The market share of cloud computing grew up to 17.6% in 2019. (hosting tribunal)
- The Content Management System, WordPress, holds a total of 63% of the market share. (w3techs)
- In 2017, Amazon Web Services acquired revenue of $18 billion. The 15 years of the company show a significant growth of up to 50% by the second quarter of 2018. (hostingtribunal). In 2019 AWS could generate a revenue of 35.03 billion US dollars. (Statista)
- Global Web Server Market Share of Apache as on April 2020 is 40.96%, and IIS is 16.58% (Hostadvice)
- The statistics of 2020 prove the domination of Google, yet again with a total of 91.98% search engine market share. Bing, Yahoo, and Baidu are likely to contribute 2.55%, 1.66%, and 1.44%, respectively. (statcounter)
- North America has the highest share of web hosting revenue globally. Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the rest of the world follows. (marketresearchfuture)
Top players in the Web Hosting service:
Competition on the web hosting service makes things easy for customers to find a suitable web hosting service provider who can offer services matching the budget and meeting technical requirements. All web hosting service providers offer a unique webspace to host your domain by which you can display your online presence to the prospective customers. Even though they all intend to provide similar services, a slight variation or experience in the field makes them stand apart from the competitor and therefore attract a large audience.
By observing the number of websites and domains which are already registered and are in process, one can easily understand the potential of the web hosting service provider. A professional domain name could take a website to places unimagined.
Here are some of the top players in the web world who have secured their place over the years.
- GoDaddy is the number one web hosting company in the world with nearly 20 years of experience in the field. (hostadvice)
- The top 10 web hosting companies in 2020 with the most number of clients worldwide are GoDaddy (16.9%), 1&1 (3.5%), Amazon Web Services (3.5%), Google Cloud Platform (3.2%), HostGator (2.2%), OVH.com (2.2%), BlueHost (2.2%), SquareSpace (1.7%), Wix hosting (1.4%), Hetzner Online (1.3%). (financesonline)
- Fastcomet, A2 hosting, ChemiCloud, Hostinger, and InterServer are the highest rated Web hosting providers in the world. (hostadvice)
- Endurance international group is worth $1.32 billion USD. It is one of the giant Web hosting companies in the world. (hostsorter)
- Endurance International Group has a total of 5 million paying customers all over the world. (hostsorter)
- The top four web servers with a higher number of users worldwide are Apache (40.98%), Nginx (23.21%), IIS (16.83%), and LiteSpeed (2.06%). (hostadvice)
- The programming languages with top engagement worldwide are PHP, Microsoft ASP.NET, Lua, Java, Ruby. (hostadvice)
- Windows Server, Unix, Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian are the OS with a high number of users worldwide. (hostadvice)
- Apache and NGINX are the most leading web server developers in the world. (internet live stats)
- The Content Management System (CMS) with a high number of users and market share worldwide is WordPress (27million), Wix (3.8 million), Squarespace (1.9 million), Joomla! (1.8 million) and Shopify (1.1 million). (hostadvice).
- WordPress has around 76.5 million active blogs and 2.5 billion posts, making it the number one Content Management System (CMS) in the world. (websitehostinginsider)
- 1,271,920,923 websites in the world today use a Content Management System. (websitesetup)
- WordPress hosting software is using by almost 36.2% of websites existing in the world today. (w3techs)
- Google, YouTube, Facebook, and Baidu are the most visited websites in the world. (hostsorter)
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) hosted 8.9% of the websites. (hostsorter)
- The browser with the largest market share is Google Chrome (63.69%). Safari and Firefox catch the next two positions, with 18.35% and 4.42%, respectively. (statcounter)
- HTTPS is the top default protocol that has been using by 58.9% of websites overall. (w3techs)
- .com is the top TLD in the world. 38.8 percent of domain names are using this domain extension globally. (com)
- The dominating websites in the world, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, YouTube, and Live use the domain .com. (webhostinggrating)
- Top TLDs distribution by number of registered domains are as follows: .com- 40.72%, .tk- 4.67%, .cn- 4.55%, .net- 4.00%, .de- 3.43%. (Domainnamestat)
- In the first quarter of 2019, Crew, Custody, and Apex are the most famous keywords on .com. (hostingtribunal)
Since the last two decades onward, the Internet plays a significant role in our daily lives. A day without a smartphone and away from the Internet and technology is a kind of thing we cannot imagine. As the name indicates, the World Wide Web is connecting the world through the Web with its different strands.
The world has become too small with the intervention of the Internet. Digital development makes our life much more comfortable and reduces communication hassles. The service and aspects of the Internet would change depending on where you are in the world. Whether it is penetration or the speed, it differs from place to place. Given below are the regional or geographical presence of the Internet.
- In the United States, 49% of online shopping happens on Amazon. (websitehostingrating)
- The fastest average mobile internet speed as per 2020 is UAE (87.09Mbps), South Korea (83.9Mbps), Qatar (82.59Mbps), Canada (71.03Mbps), Netherlands (68.5mbps. (Statista)
- The country with the highest internet market penetration in the world is Iceland. (hostadvice)
- 100% of Iceland’s population are active internet users. (hostadvice)
- Divided by population, Kuwait and Qatar have the highest internet penetration with 99.6%. (internetworldstats)
- Apart from Kuwait and Qatar, Falkland Islands (99.3%), Bermuda (99.2%), and Iceland (99.0%) are the countries with high internet penetration rates. (internetworldstats)
- By continent analysis, 50.3% of the world’s internet users are from Asia followed by Europe (15.9%), Africa (11.5%), Latin America and the Caribbean (10.1%), North America (7.6%), Middle East (3.9%) only 0.6% of the users are from Oceania and Australia. (websitehostinginsider)
- North America (94.6%) has the largest world internet penetration rates by region followed by Europe (87.2%), Latin America/Caribbean (70.5%) and Middle East (69.2%). (internetworldstats)
- Filipinos are the major social media users in the world, with an average person in the country spending four hours on social media every day. (wearesocial)
- Brazilians, Indonesians, and Thais drive social media next to Filipinos with second, third, and fourth spots. (wearesocial)
- The top three countries with the most number of internet users as of June 2019 are; China (854 million), India (560 million), and the United States (292.89million) (Statista)
- In India, only 34.4% have access to the Internet, although it has the second-largest internet users in the world. (websitehostinginsider)
- In terms of the high-speed Internet, Taiwan, with an average speed of 85.02 Mbps, ranks the first. Singapore is the second with an average speed of 70Mbps. (seasia)
- Yemen stands in the bottom with a very poor average speed of 0.38Mbps. (seasia)
- There are 141 countries with the average internet speed below 10Mbps. (seasia)
- The United Arab Emirates has highest number of mobile internet users at 91%. (webhostinggrating)
- Singapore (88%) and Saudi Arabia (86%) are the second and third in the rank with people accessing the Internet through a mobile device. (webhostinggrating)
- 150,290,640 domain names have registered in unknown cities, which hold 36.38% of market share. (domainnamestat)
Features that make the domain stand apart from the rest:
If you want your website to be noticed by people among the millions of websites worldwide, consider different factors before choosing a reliable web hosting provider. A professional and standard website would generate an outstanding outlook and helps to be easily noticeable.
There are always some factors and features which attract a vast population. The statistics below show how such features gave dominion to some leading web hosting providers in the world and where they stand now.
- Amazon Web Services provides a ‘pay as you use’ format for its customers. (hostsorter)
- Shared web hosts are relatively cheap, with only 3-7 dollars per month while the VPS hosting charge is 20-30 dollars per month. (webhosting)
- GoDaddy claims that it provides the most affordable hosting plans. It is a low-cost domain provider. (GoDaddy)
- The monthly hosting prices in GoDaddy ranges from $1 to 89.99. (hostsorter)
- GoDaddy offers a free domain-based email package for the first year. (GoDaddy)
- Godaddy offers a free one-year extension on many domains. (GoDaddy)
- The three types of web hosting depending on how big or small the website be are; low cost or budget hosting, medium-range hosting, and high-end managed hosting service. (hostsorter)
- BlueHost and GoDaddy are the cheapest web hosts. Subscription plans below $5 have the highest number of users. (financesonline)
The overwhelming growth of web hosting:
The overall growth of web hosting from the time of its launch to date is overwhelming. From the time which the first website came into public in 1991, there is no turn back until now.
The proximity and availability of the Web Hosting service to the customers is a vital element to calculate the growth of Web Hosting service. The World Wide Web continues to host many more websites from different parts of the world per day. The growth year over the year might be surprising as the statistics given below; have a look.
- There are 1,744,517,326 websites worldwide as of January 1st, 2020. (yourdigitalmarketer)
- In 1991 there was only one website; by 2014, there was a prolific growth of 1 billion. The growth exceeded within one year, from 900 million in January 2016 to 1.7 billion in December 2016. (internetlivestats)
- The number of domain name registrations are growing at a rate of 3.5% per year. (com)
- The United States has registered 101,965,517, which controls 24.69% of the market share. (Domainnamestat)
- There are 1,569 TLDs and 413,057,544 registered domains as of 2020. (domainnamestat)
- 900,000 domains get registered worldwide every week. (financesonline)
- Globally, there are 154 million domains hosted. (financesonline)
- 154,608,076 domains hosted worldwide in 2019. (financesonline)
- Godaddy is the largest domain registrar in the world, with 48.98% of total domains. (GoDaddy)
- GoDaddy has 19.3 million customers all around the world by December 31, 2019, which is a 4.1% increase from the previous years. (Godaddy)
- GoDaddy provides around 78 million domain names in the world. (Godaddy)
- .de is the most popular country-specific TLD with a distribution of 11.1%. (hostingtribunal)
- Slow websites slump down the market revenue, which drops the conversion rates up to 7%. The estimated loss due to a slow website is half a billion dollars per year. (webhostinggrating)
- English (59.3%), Russian (8.4%), and Spanish (4.2%) are the top languages using on websites. (w3techs)
- 3% of websites run without a Content Management System. (webhostinggrating)
- Among the 1.7 billion websites in the World Wide Web, less than 200 million are active. (internetlivestats)
- com is the most expensive domain name ever sold for $49.7 million. (hostingtribunal)
- As of 2020, there are over 4.54 million active internet users. (Statista)
- 81,792 Google searches are happening in every second globally. (internetlivestats)
- In one second, views watch 83,404 YouTube videos. (internetlivestats)
- The total number of spam emails in one second is 2.8 million. (internetlivestats)
- An average person estimated to spend 2 hours and 15 minutes per day on social media. (webhostinggrating)
- Every day, an average user spends 6.5 hours on the Internet. (hostingfacts)
- 71% of shoppers say that online shopping sites are more compelling than brick and mortar shops. (websitehostingrating)
- 43% of web traffic comes from laptops and desktops while 52% from mobile phones. (wearesocial)
- Over 5 million searches take place in Google every day. Among that,15% of searches are brand new. (websitehostingrating)
- The 16 million internet users in 1995 grew to 4.346 billion by March 2019 and is increasing year over year. (websitehostinginsider)
- As of January 2020, around 4.54 billion people globally are active internet users which constitutes 59% of the world’s population. (Statista)
- 18 billion use the Internet via their mobile device. (Statista)
- 03Mbps is the average broadband internet speed. (seasia)
- 61% use the Internet via an Android device. 34.96% through windows, 15.63% use iOS, 8.3% via os x and 0.78% use Linux. (statcounter)
- Aided by the search, 60% of smartphone users directly contact a business. (thinkwithgoogle)
- Site performance plays a key role in online purchasing. 79% of the shoppers quit a site which makes a slow loading. (websitehostingrating)
- When using mobile, 89% of time is spent on apps and 11% on websites. (webhostinggrating)
- 7 second is the average loading speed of a mobile landing page. (thinkwithgoogle)
- Robots generate 51.8% of overall internet traffic while humans create only 48.2%. (websitehostingrating)
- 80% of the internet users ignore Google ads and 75% never look beyond the first page in Google search results. (websitehostingrating)
- Contents with the word count between 1,140 and 1,285 perform well in google. (websitehostingrating)
- Sites which takes more than 3 seconds to load are less likely to sustain than the sites with lesser loading time. (websitehostinginsider)
- 80% access the Internet via their mobile device. (webhostinggrating)
- Mobile and tablet causes 48.2% of the overall online traffic. (webhostinggrating)
- As of May 2019, there are a total of 338,561 web hosting providers. (financesonline)
- The highest number of clients of GoDaddy are from the United States and also hold 33.67% of Web hosting market share. (hostadvice)
- GoDaddy has a total of 14 offices with 8,000 employees working globally. (hostsorter)
- EIG has acquired 70 web hosting brands. (hostsorter)
- The statistics of 2019 demonstrates that 100% of the age group of 18-29 are using the Internet. 97% are between the age group of 30-49, 88% among the age of 50-64, and 73% of the users are 65 and above. (Statista)
Predictions and projections regarding web hosting:
For everything in our life, we rely much on the Internet and the related digital technology. Our finger does more work than anything, whether it is the usage of a smartphone or desktops or tablets.
The usage of the Internet is at its peak in the world. However, the evolution of the Internet and technology is an unlimited process, and we expect much more to happen in the internet world.
Here are some predictions for the future of web hosting.
- The MRFR analysis states that, by 2022, web hosting services are expecting an estimated growth of $154 billion. (smallbiztechnology)
- As per projections, one-third of the IT expenses in the future will be for cloud services and hosting. (smallbiztechnology)
- The estimated Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) in the global Web hosting services for 2018 to 2023 is 15.9%. (marketresearchfuture)
- As per estimates, by 2021, mobile data traffic is set to increase up to 49 exabytes per month. (financesonline)
- The global market revenue of North America is $9,232.8 million in 2017, and the revenue expected to increase by $21,862.6 million by the end of 2023. (marketresearchfuture)
- The global Web Hosting services market is expecting a growth of $76.2 billion by 2023. (financesonline)
- The internet volume is expecting to increase by 175 zettabytes by 2025. (financesonline)
- The public cloud marketing is estimating $236 billion in growth by 2020. (McAfee)
- The number of social media users is bound to reach over 3 billion by 2021. (vpnmentor)
- Online shopping is at its peak, with $1.92 billion in 2019 to go around $2 billion in 2020. (vpnmentor)
- As per projections, the e-commerce sales may reach $4.4 trillion by 2021. (vpnmentor)
- Smartphones, tablets, or mobile devices will be a reason for 68% of internet traffic by 2020. (websitehostinginsider)
- The market revenue of web hosting was $32.13 billion in 2017, and by 2023, it expects to increase to $76.2 billion. (marketresearchfuture)
- The public cloud computing market share of 2020 is $354.6 billion. (Statista)
History/Timeline of web hosting services:
The story of the Internet starts in October 1969 with the launching of ARPAnet. Internet underwent a lot of transformations, ever since the launch of ARPAnet, the grandfather of the
Internet service. Let’s see the history and the start of several facts related to it.
- In 1989, the British scientist Tim Berners-Lee while employed with CERN Laboratories developed the World Wide Web in Switzerland in 1989. It was introduced to the world in 1991 and put the World Wide Web software to the public domain in 1993. (internethistory)
- In 1993, CERN declared that the World Wide Web would be freely accessible to anyone without any costs. (internethistory)
- The first website cern.ch become online on August 6, 1991.(hostsorter)
- In 1994, GeoCities founded one of the earliest Web Hosting Services. (archiveteam)
- In 1995, web hosting service providers GeoCities, Angelfire, and Tripod started free hosting services with 1MB, 35KB, and 2MB space, respectively. (biztech)
- In 1996, Matt Heaton established BlueHost. In 2003, it had the first customer signup for hosting. (joomlahostingreviews)
- There were around 750,000 commercial sites on the World Wide Web by 1998. (internethistory)
- In 1996, EIG founded as a Web Hosting company in the USA. (hostsorter)
- On October 22, 2002, Brent Oxley founded HostGator in Florida and registered as a domain (hostgator.com) in the same year itself. (hostgator)
- On May 27, 2003, Matt Mullenweg launched the first version of WordPress. (wpbeginner)
- In 2008, the average web hosting storage became 171,000MB, which is 1,115 times more than in 1998. (biztech)
- As per the 2010 data, HostGator sites were responsible for 1% of the world’s online traffic. (biztech)
- The web hosting industry has seen immense growth worldwide within 17 years, with 19 million users in 1995 to 2.1 billion users in 2011. (biztech) By 2019 the worldwide internet users increased to 4.39 billion. (wearesocial)
- Amazon launched its cloud computing platform Amazon Web Services in the early 2000s, also launched Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) in 2006. (ITchronicles)
- Google offered cloud-based ‘apps’ in 2009, which allows users to signup via Gmail account for free and store as well. (biztech)
- The first officially registered .com domain is Symbolics.com. (hover)
Choosing the right Web Hosting partner for launching your website is a paramount factor for reaping the desired result. Apart from receiving reviews and ratings, it is equally important to have increased traffic to the website and maximum conversions. When your site can enjoy uninterrupted traffic flow, naturally, you will have increased site popularity and can enjoy a better Google ranking. Goggle ranking will help you to experience ultimate benefit, and as a result, more people visit the website because the majority of visitors won’t visit beyond the first Google page.
A quick loading page will attract more visitors. Many other technical factors play a crucial role in having a good website, and it can happen if your web hosting service provider is an experienced hand who can offer you the best hosting plan to meet the project expectations. You can find many web host providers, and their prices will vary depending on the website hosting plan. The future performance of your website is something to be kept in mind while choosing a web host.